AR banner
Search Tips Advanced Search

Buy our researcher a coffee
Info LogoAdd to or correct this story with a few clicks.
Archive Report: UN Forces Korea

Compiled from official National Archive and Service sources, contemporary press reports, personal logbooks, diaries and correspondence, reference books, other sources, and interviews.

We seek additional information and photographs. Please contact us via the AddInfo button, or send us email from the Helpdesk.
91st SRS
Mysterious Loss of USAF Superfortress Spy Plane

Built by Boeing. Manufacture Number 15830. Delivered to the U. S. Air Force (USAF) as B-50B-50-BO Superfortress Serial Number 47-145. This bomber was modified as RB-50G ELINT with additional radar and B-50D type nose, sometimes also referred to as RB-50D. Assigned to the 91st Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron (91st SRS) at Yokato AFB.

Superfortress RB-50G (47145 Little Red Ass) flew from Honshu on a mission in North Korea and was shot down over Sea of Japan southeast of Vladivostok at 42-17N, 133-15 East, by two Soviet pilots (Yablonskiy and Rybakov) in the region of Cape Gamov on July 29, 1953 while on a secret mission. Declassified U.S. government documents state that the aircraft was on a 'routine navigational mission in air space over the international waters of the Sea of Japan'.

Superfortress RB-50G

Superfortress RB-50G with ELINT attached

The RB-50G was a heavily modified B-29 Superfortress with Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) gear onboard and several specialist crew to man the electronics.

Total time elapse between the time the attack started until components of the aircraft fell into the water was approximately two minutes. There was a crew of 17 but there was only 1 survivor, with 2 remains recovered.

Declassified documents list the names of the crew members, but none of their names show up on the government's official Korean War Loss list as having been killed or missing. Even the lone survivor is not mentioned.

The co-pilot Captain John Roche was the only crew member recovered. He was rescued by an American ship 40 miles from the Soviet coast to the south of Cape Povorotny.

The pilot and co-pilot had bailed out at the same time. The co-pilot assumed the rest of the crew bailed out, too. A search and rescue aircraft dropped a life raft to other survivors. At least four of them (and possibly more) were seen sitting in the raft. Also seen were nine Soviet PT-type boats in the area and at least six of them were heading to the location where debris from the aircraft was later discovered. A Soviet trawler was also spotted in the approximate area. The crew members were:

Beyer, 1Lt. Frank Ernest - MIA

Brown, M/Sgt. Francis Luther - flight engineer - badly injured, shocked, and over exposure in the Sea of Japan resulted in his death. Body recovered.

Czyz, 1Lt. Edmund Joseph - MIA

Gabree, SSgt. Donald Wayne - MIA

Goulet, A/1c Roland Edgar

Hill, SSgt. Donald George - MIA

Keith, 1Lt. James Gordon - navigator - He was situated in the nose of the aircraft and was thrown from his position and mortally wounded. - KIA.

O'Kelley, Capt. Stanley Keith - aircraft commander - died of exposure in Roche's presence while waiting in the water for rescue - body recovered

Radelin, A/2c Earl Wilbur Jr. - MIA

Roche, Capt. John Ernst - co-pilot - He was rescued the next day on July 30, 1953.

Russell, A/2c Charles Joseph - MIA

Sanderson, 1Lt. Warren John - MIA

Stalnaker, 1Lt. Robert Elbon - MIA

Tejeda, Maj. Francisco Joseph - MIA

Ward, Capt. John Cyrus - MIA

Wiggins, 1Lt. Lloyd Clayton - MIA

Woods, A/2c James Edwin - MIA

For years the story of this flight remained unspoken of but insight into the mission of RB-50G was found in a memorial to crew member Robert Elbon Stalnaker on a website called West Virginia Division of Culture and History, as follows.

Robert Elbon Stalnaker (left) was born March 4, 1922, the youngest son of Randall H. and Lula [Elbon] Stalnaker of Webster Springs, West Virginia. Randall, a schoolteacher in Webster County, and Lula were divorced in 1923 and Lula found work as the matron of the IOOF Home in Elkins, West Virginia, where she met A. J. Wilkinson of Huntington. A. J. and Lula were married about 1925, and they had a daughter Mary. Robert graduated from Huntington High School in 1939. He attended West Virginia Business College in Huntington, and after graduation worked as a clerk for the West Virginia State Road Commission in Huntington.

On January 7, 1942, Robert enlisted as a private in the Army Air Corps at Fort Thomas, Kentucky. He received his commission as lieutenant at Deming Officer Training School in Deming, New Mexico, in January 1943, where he also received training in navigation. In May 1944 Robert transferred to Hunter Army Air Field near Savannah, Georgia, for training aboard a B-17G and was assigned to Crew 122 as a bombardier. Robert went to England with the 8th Air Force in June 1944.

On July 16, 1944, Robert was a bombardier/navigator of a B-17 that participated in a bombing mission over Germany. Failing to return, he was declared missing in action. According to his sister Mary Childers, the plane was shot down over Germany and Robert was captured. He was among a group of prisoners being transported by truck to a POW camp when they were rescued by German partisans and helped across the French border. With the aid of the French underground they crossed the Swiss border, where they stayed until they were freed in an exchange of German POWs. On August 11, 1944, Robert's parents were notified that he was alive and safe. After his ordeal, Robert received a 21-day leave to visit home before returning to England, where he continued his service with the 8th Air Force until the war was over.

Robert left the Air Force after WWII and returned home. After attending Marshall University for a year or so, in January 1948, Robert re-enlisted in the Air Force as a captain. He updated his previous training at Lackland Air Force Base near San Antonio, Texas, and went to Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana for further training in reconnaissance and surveillance. Robert was stationed at Biloxi, Mississippi in July 1950, where he received radar training.

On December 29, 1951, Robert married Betty [James] Frazier, a girl he had known since high school. They got married in Pikeville, Kentucky, and traveled throughout southern Kentucky on their honeymoon. After the trip, Robert returned to Biloxi and was then transferred to Forbes Air base near Topeka, Kansas. At Forbes, he received training as an electronics specialist and became a crew member of a US RB-50G with the 343rd Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron of the 55th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing, which was attached to the 91st Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron based at Yokota Air Base, Japan.

On July 29, 1953, Robert Stalnaker was one of a 17-member crew on a US RB-50G that was given a special assignment over the Sea of Japan. Another West Virginian, Airman 2nd Class James E. Woods from Upshur County, was also a member of the crew. Robert and five other crewmen were electronics specialists known as Ravens, and on that day one of their assignments was to investigate radar facilities along the Soviet border. The best way to do that was to provoke the Russians into turning on their search and control radar, which was usually done only when the early warning radar detected a potential threat. This risky maneuver was known as ferreting because the goal was to ferret out information about the capabilities of the Soviet equipment. The Russians understood the game and tried not to be lured into turning on their equipment, which would expose the capabilities of their system to the United States.

Cape Gamov

After completing the mission at about 6:15 AM, the US RB-50G was returning to the base at Yokota when it was intercepted and unexpectedly fired upon from the rear by two Russian MiG-17 fighter planes. The gunfire from the MiG-17 at the rear disabled the RB-50G’s No. 1 engine and set the No. 4 engine on fire. The attack also tore off part of the tail section and destroyed the wing. The tail gunner, James E. Woods, was able to return a brief burst of fire at the MiG-17, but to no avail, and commander Captain Stanley O'Kelley ordered the crew to bail out. The plane lost altitude quickly and crashed into the sea. The attack occurred two days after the armistice ending the Korean War was signed on July 27, 1953.

The US conducted a thorough search of the area by air and sea, and was assisted by an Australian ship near the crash site. Halted due to dense fog and approaching darkness, the search was resumed on the morning of July 30, 1953. Captain John Roche, co-pilot of the plane, was wounded but survived the crash by holding onto pieces of the wreckage. He was picked up by the Navy ship USS Picking in the early morning hours of July 30, 1953 after floating in the Sea of Japan for about 22 hours. No other survivors were found. The bodies of Captain Stanley O'Kelley and Master Sergeant Francis Brown were later recovered along the coast of Japan. The remaining 14 members of the crew, which included Robert Stalnaker, were never accounted for.

The United States State Department officially released information that the US RB-50G was the victim of an unprovoked attack by two Russian MiG-17 fighters while on a routine navigational training exercise in international airspace over the Sea of Japan. In fact, the US RB-50G was involved in a ferreting operation, and in order to provoke the Russians, had flown into the danger zone of the harbor at Vladivostok, which was home to the Soviet's Pacific fleet.

The Soviet government maintained that about 6:00 AM on the morning of July 29, 1953, a US Air Force RB-50G aircraft violated the boundary of the USSR in the region of Cape Gamov and flew through their airspace to the area of Ajton Island near Vladivostok. The Soviets claimed that two Russian MiG-17 fighter aircraft approached the US RB-50G with the intention of showing the crew that they were within the boundaries of the USSR and urging them to leave Soviet airspace. The Soviets stated that the US RB-50G aircraft was last seen flying out to sea and they had no further knowledge of the fate of the plane or its crew. However, according to Captain Roche, several Russian boats were in the area immediately after the crash, and crew members of the rescue planes searching the site also reported sightings of Russian boats and planes in the area that may have picked up other possible survivors or remains.

Throughout the 1950s and early 1960s the US government made repeated requests to the Soviet Foreign Ministry for information regarding the July 29, 1953 attack on the US Air Force RB-50G plane but received little no response. In June 1992 Russian President Boris Yeltsin admitted that the Soviets had shot down nine US planes during the 1950s and held twelve of the survivors prisoner. It is not know whether any of these prisoners were crew members aboard the US RB-50G which was shot down in 1953. In November 1955, Robert Stalnaker was officially pronounced dead by the US Air Force.

Robert Stalnaker is survived by his sister Mary Childers. His mother Lula [Stalnaker] Wilkinson passed away in 1966. His older brother Randall Harold had died in 1939, and his father passed away in 1934. At the time he was shot down, Robert Stalnaker left his wife Betty [James] Frazier and a stepson James Frazier.

91st Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron

On November 15, 1950, the 91st SRS absorbed the personnel and resources of the 31st Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron in Japan.

Using RB-29, RB-45, and RB-50 aircraft, it performed target and bomb-damage assessment photo and visual reconnaissance for FEAF Bomber Command flew other special photographic missions and conducted electronic 'ferret' reconnaissance to determine the frequency, location, and other characteristics of the enemy ground radar.

The squadron also performed shipping surveillance over the Sea of Japan near the Siberian coast and leaflet drops over North Korea.

Beginning in late 1952, rotating aircrews of the Philippine-based 581st Air Resupply and Communications Wing augmented the 91st SRS in flying leaflet missions. Stations Johnson AB, Japan, November 15, 1950; Yokota AB, Japan, December 19, 1950.

SY 2020-01-24

Acknowledgments: Sources used by us in compiling Archive Reports include: Bill Chorley - 'Bomber Command Losses Vols. 1-9, plus ongoing revisions', Dr. Theo E.W. Boiten and Mr. Roderick J. Mackenzie - 'Nightfighter War Diaries Vols. 1 and 2', Martin Middlebrook and Chris Everitt - 'Bomber Command War Diaries', Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Tom Kracker - Kracker Luftwaffe Archives, Michel Beckers, Major Fred Paradie (RCAF) and MWO François Dutil (RCAF) - Paradie Archive (on this site), Jean Schadskaje, Major Jack O'Connor USAF (Retd.), Robert Gretzyngier, Wojtek Matusiak, Waldemar Wójcik and Józef Zieliński - 'Ku Czci Połeglyçh Lotnikow 1939-1945', Archiwum - Polish Air Force Archive (on this site), Anna Krzystek, Tadeusz Krzystek - 'Polskie Siły Powietrzne w Wielkiej Brytanii', Franek Grabowski, Norman L.R. Franks 'Fighter Command Losses', Stan D. Bishop, John A. Hey MBE, Gerrie Franken and Maco Cillessen - Losses of the US 8th and 9th Air Forces, Vols 1-6, Dr. Theo E.W. Boiton - Nachtjagd Combat Archives, Vols 1-13. Aircrew Remembered Databases and our own archives. We are grateful for the support and encouragement of CWGC, UK Imperial War Museum, Australian War Memorial, Australian National Archives, New Zealand National Archives, UK National Archives and Fold3 and countless dedicated friends and researchers across the world.
Click any image to enlarge it
Click to add your info via ticket on Helpdesk •Click to let us know via ticket on Helpdesk• Click to buy research books from Amazon •Click to explore the entire site

Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

All site material (except as noted elsewhere) is owned or managed by Aircrew Remembered and should not be used without prior permission.
© 2012 - 2024 Aircrew Remembered
Last Modified: 07 April 2021, 13:16

If you would like to comment on this page, please do so via our Helpdesk. Use the Submit a Ticket option to send your comments. After review, our Editors will publish your comment below with your first name, but not your email address.

A word from the Editor: your contribution is important. We welcome your comments and information. Thanks in advance.