30.12.1941 No. 306 Squadron Spitfire Vb W3945 UZ-C Fl/Lt. Zielenski
Operation: Veracity II
Date: 30th December 1941 (Tuesday)
Unit: No. 306 Squadron (Polish)
Type: Spitfire Vb
Base: RAF Church Stanton
Location: 10 miles off Brest, France.
Pilot: Fl/Lt. Stanisław Władysław Zieleński P-0817 PAF Age 36. Missing
REASON FOR LOSS:
Best described as written in the original operational record books of the day:
To-day the weather was favourable to carry out Operation Veracity II' (the attack on Scharnhorst and Gneisenau in Brest), the aircraft were already waiting at Bolt Head. 12 aircraft took off from Bolt Head at 13.30 hrs. to act as Rear Support Wing cover to Brest, and were on patrol at 13,500 feet 10 miles from the French Coast, North of Brest. At 14.10 hrs. they sighted ahead and 1,000 feet below our returning bombers which were being attacked by approx. 20 x Me109s.
The Squadron attacked the Me109s. and during the combats which ensued, F/O. Rutkowski (1), Sgt.
Smigielski (2), Sq/Ldr. Wczelik (3) and P/O. Szpakowicz (4) each destroyed one Me109E. P/O. Sologub (5) and P/O. Langhamer (6) each probably destroyed one Me109E. F/Lt. Zielinski is missing from this Operation. Sgt. Potocki (7) who was in the Section led by Fl/Lt. Zielinski stated that the saw the Port wing of Fl/Lt. Zielinski‘s aircraft break off at 8,000 feet at 14.10 hrs.
This accident took place over the French Coast North of Brest. All other aircraft landed safely at Bolt Head.
(extra notes added by Aircrew Remembered - see foot of page):
(1) F/O. Kazimierz Rutkowski P0692 DFC, VM, had many lucky escapes and more can be read here. Died on the 3rd May 1995.
(2) Sgt, Jan Adam Smigielski P-2476 DFC, VM, also had many lucky escapes. Left as a Fl/Lt. Died on 24th April 1992.
(3) Sq/Ldr.Antoni Wczelik P-1419 Missing whilst with 306 squadron 14th April 1942. Spitfire Vc AB182 UZ-W. Circus 123.
(4) P/O. Sergiusz Szpakowicz P-0305 killed whilst with 303 squadron 25th February 1945. Spitfire EN367 RF-R Armed recce patrol.
(5) P/O. Gregorz Sologrub P-1624 DFC, VM, Left the service as a Fl/Lt. He died on the 25th November 1986.
(6) P/O. Zdzislaw Roman Langhamer Finished service as Fl/Lt. He died on 26th February 1984.
(7) Sgt. Wladyslaw Jan Potocki DFC, VM, Finished his service as a Fl/Lt. He died on 23rd December 1996.
None, Fl/Lt. Stanisław Władysław Zieliński is still missing. Commemorated on the Polish memorial to aircrew in Warsaw and at the Northolt Polish Memorial. Born on 15th October 1905 in Skępe, Lipno, Poland.
Researched for relatives of the pilot. With thanks to the following for further information supplied, Polish Squadron ORB's, Robert Gretzyngier, Wojtek Matusiak, Waldemar Wójcik and Józef Zieliński - 'Ku Czci Połeglyçh Lotnikow 1939-1945', Anna Krzystek, Tadeusz Krzystek - 'Polskie Siły Powietrzne w Wielkiej Brytanii'.
Notes: Although perhaps not relevant to this page of remembrance, we have included extra information in the hope that a relative searching for further information on others will find this page and perhaps contact us with (or for) further information.